Date:      Sat, 28 Feb 2015 09:30:37 -0500
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        Brett Wynkoop <freebsd-arm@wynn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: buildworld

On Feb 28, 2015, at 1:11 AM, Brett Wynkoop <freebsd-arm@wynn.com> wrote:

> Greeting-
>
> Well my Beaglebone has been chewing on buildworld for two days now and
> so far so good!  I think the removal of /etc/make.conf was exactly what
> the doctor ordered.
>
> For those of you curious about my mad plan to build things native I
> will let you know when it finishes.  As I write this it seems to be
> building tcsh.
>
> I suspect another day will see it done.  I sort of wonder though why it
> takes so long as I did buildworld on slower x86 systems and it did not
> take this long.  I suspect it must be the write speed of the sd card.
> Anyone else have an idea on that one?

I think that's probably it.  I have been doing native builds to my
Beaglebone Black (-CURRENT) and Raspberry Pi (10-STABLE) and it takes a
little over a day to buildworld+buildkernel on the BBB and ~30+ hours
to do the same on the Raspberry Pi.  However, I have /usr/obj and
/usr/src on an external USB hard drive, which is what I suspect is
speeding things up compared to writing to SD card.

Cheers,

Paul.