Date:      Thu, 03 Jun 1999 23:34:47 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        bc-freebsd@vicious.dropbear.id.au
Subject:   Re: Routers and such

At 11:02 PM 6/3/99 , Bruce Campbell wrote:
>On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Mike Tancsa wrote:
>
>mike> >Rest assured that FreeBSD will handle your needs for some time to
>mike> >come.
>mike>
>mike> I think the major place where FreeBSD falls down in terms of routing is
>mike> software.  Although gateD does the job, you dont nearly have the same
>mike> features as you would with a higher end Cisco.
>
>If you want an expensive reliable black box with a few blinking lights,
>buy a Cisco. If you want a Cisco-like features on an intel platform,
>choose mrt or zebra, both in the ports collection I believe.  Gated ain't
>the only PC-routing game in town.

I think Zerbra has some potential in the future, but even the author would
not recomend putting it into full production.... yet!  MRT looks fairly
stable, but the focus of the software is more for R&D as opposed to
stability, at least thats what I was told.  In terms of hardware
'reliability', we have at any given time enough parts to rebuild our border
routers 3 times over.  I would not be able to keep 3 let alone 1 Ciscos on
standby for economic reasons.

>(Not that I've got any but passing knowledge with either, and my cisco
> experience consists of replacing at short notice the core Bay router of
> my previous employment)
>
>If you're serious about shifting data, get a serious router. Anything with
>moving parts is not 'serious' enough.

Depends how much you want to move, and how much you want to spend, and what
sort of knowledge base you have to draw on.  $2K for a pair of PEECEE
routers, v.s. $20K, and then service contracts, IOS revs is a lot of money
to spend if you dont need to. I have been to customer sites where they have
4700s with IP+ to move data across a fractional T1.  That was serious...
Serious waste of money.

	---Mike