Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 1995 19:18:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Network Coordinator <nc@ain.charm.net>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   httpd - security problem? (question, not a statement)

I remember reading somewhere that there is a bug in a number of port 80
daemons that would allow someone to gain root access remotely through it.
I know there is a bug when using httpd with Satan v1.0 (well, for as much
as a I trust CERT), but when not running Satan, is there any harm in
letting cern_httpd v3.0 run in standalone (full-time) mode [as root, no
less].

Any ideas on securing up a system would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry.