Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2012 08:53:18 +1100
From:      Jan Mikkelsen <janm@transactionware.com>
To:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240 with mfi driver?

Hi,

On 31/03/2012, at 1:14 AM, Doug Ambrisko wrote:

> John Baldwin writes:
> | On Friday, March 30, 2012 12:06:40 am Jan Mikkelsen wrote:
> | > Is this path likely to work out? Any suggestions on where to go =
from here?
> |=20
> | You should try the updated mfi(4) driver that Doug (cc'd) is going =
to soon
> | merge into HEAD.  It syncs up with the mfi(4) driver on LSI's =
website which
> | supports several cards that the current mfi(4) driver does not.  =
(I'm not
> | fully sure if the 9240 is in that group or not.  Doug might know =
however.)
>=20
> Yes, this card is supported with the mfi(4) in projects/head_mfi.  =
Looks
> like we fixed a couple of last minute found bugs when trying to create =
> RAID wth mfiutil.  This should be fixed now.  I'm going to start the
> merge to -current today.  The version in head_mfi can run on older
> versions of FreeBSD with the changes that Sean did.
>=20
> Note that I wouldn't recomend the 9240 since it can't have a battery
> option.  NVRAM is the key to the speed of mfi(4) cards.  However, that
> won't stop us from supporting=20

Thanks.

I don't know what changes Sean did. Are they in 9.0-release, or do I =
need -stable after a certain point? I'm assuming I should be able to =
take src/sys/dev/mfi/... and src/usr.sbin/mfiutil/... from -current.

The performance is an interesting thing. The write performance I care =
about is ZFS raidz2 with 6 x JBOD disks (or 6 x single disk raid0) on =
this controller. The 9261 with a BBU performs well but obviously costs =
more.

I can see the BBU being important for controller based raid5, but I'm =
hoping that ZFS with JBOD will still perform well. I'm ignorant at this =
point, so that's why I'm trying it out. Do you have any experience or =
expectations with a 9240 being used in a setup like that?

Regards,

Jan.