Date:      Wed, 2 Dec 2020 12:58:25 -0500
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>,  "freebsd-toolchain@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Removing obsolete GDB 6.1.1 for FreeBSD 13

On Wed, 2 Dec 2020 at 12:52, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> even if lldb isn't a complete drop in replacement (I've not used it at all, so I can't say one way or another).

Quick comment on this point - the FreeBSD Foundation has been
sponsoring Moritz Systems to improve LLDB on FreeBSD, and they've done
great work getting it into shape. Their work is in LLVM upstream now,
and they're iterating on fixing issues found by LLDB's test suite.
LLDB 12 should provide a capable userland debugging experience in
FreeBSD 13, although I suspect many users will still install the gdb
port or package for the familiar command line interface.

There's no FreeBSD kernel support in LLDB yet, but it's being investigated.