Date:      Thu, 3 Jun 1999 21:18:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        billf@chc-chimes.com (Bill Fumerola)
Cc:        brian@Awfulhak.org, dyson@iquest.net, ahasty@mindspring.com, dillon@apollo.backplane.com, crossd@cs.rpi.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, schimken@cs.rpi.edu
Subject:   Re: 3.2-stable, panic #12

> On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Brian Somers wrote:
>
> > The system was becoming unstable due to Matts changes.  Whether the
> > instabilities were in Matts code or somewhere else is irrelevent.
> > The reaction was (IMHO) the right thing to do.
>
> I think where the problem lied is very relevent.
>
> If the problems are not his fault are you saying he should have backed
> out his changes because they exposed old faulty code? What kind of
> progress is that?

The key is that if problems are going to be uncovered, then
understanding the rest of the code well enough to fix it
is important.  There were not only cases of new or uncovered
bugs, but regression and mistaken removal of features that
weren't understood.  All of the stuff requires some kind of
learning curve, and just jumping in and "coding" isn't really
a wise thing to do or allow.

IMO, revokation of commit privs has given enough time to support
the learning curve and enforce a review process.

John