Date:      Tue, 7 Dec 1999 22:35:57 +0100
From:      Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: audio/gogo depends on nasm _0.98_ (!)

Thus spake Kris Kennaway (kris@hub.freebsd.org):

> You can patch it by hand if you need to (e.g. just remove the *_DEPENDS
> line on nasm so it won't check), but in general we only support older
> versions of software if the newer version doesn't work with all of the
> ports which depend on it.

No. I mean, see:
audio/gogo currently just checks, if nasm is installed.

Yes, it was installed, but as version 0.97. But audio/gogo needs 0.98
to build, so the build falied.

After I installed nasm 0.98 from the ports audio/gogo build fine.

I wonder if there is the possibility to extend a port to depend on a
specific version, that becomes installed if it's not installed.

The ports-system supports installation of dependencies, so why don't
let it depend on nasm 0.98 and install that?

But I think it's not possible :-(

Alex

PS: Why I ask this is: It has been no problem for _me_ to find out,
why it doesn't compile, but what about other users, that are not so
familiar with the stuff.

Maybe at least a line "This needs nasm 0.98 to build, please install
the latest if you have an older version" or such.

--
I doubt, therefore I might be.