Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 10:04:42 -0600
From:      "SF" <lists@stevenfettig.com>
To:        <so@server.i-clue.de>
Cc:        "Freebsd-Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Hot swap mount compatible with FreeBSD?

<snip>
> I don't understand the question. About every swap solution will work for
> you. It's up to you to make sure the drive is not mounted the moment you
> swap drives.
>
> HTH
> -Christoph Sold

Well, I found an answer - I think - to my own question after more digging
(sorry I didn't see this before).  FreeBSD doesn't seem to support
hot-swapping per se.  But, the suggestion you gave of making sure the drive
was unmounted the moment it is swapped seems to indicate that I am really in
need of a hardware setup that will allow drives to be swapped in and out of
the chassis (and as long as it is not mounted at that time, this should
cause no problems with the OS) - like the way a CD-Rom disc is inserted and
removed.  That leads me, however, back to an original question - is there
any specific hardware that supports hot swapping (i.e. controller, rails,
etc. from someone like Adaptec, etc) that has been used in a FreeBSD box
successfully - I have found solutions that should work with MS machines, but
I don't know about FreeBSD/*nix functionality?

Thanks,
SF