Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 1995 18:23:16 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        mikebo@TELLABS.COM, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD 2.xR: AIC7xxx driver vs. st() driver vs. tape drives

>> >st0(ahc1:2:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST
> >st0: Cannot set selected mode
> >st0: bad request, must be between 0 and 0
>
> How was the Q150 tape made and what block size did you use?  The
> tape install failed for me on a HP 1533C DAT tape drive when I
> made the tape with the default block size (for tar) of 20*512 bytes.
> When I remade the tape with a blocking factor of 1, it worked.
> I got an illegal block size message on the failed attempt, so
> that's probably not your problem - I'm just throwing it out there.

I had this problem when I tried installing 2.0.5R from an Archive 250ST.
I made the tape using a block size of 1, with just the bin dist on it
using the command:

tar -cv -b 1 -f /dev/rst0 bin

When I tried installing from SCSI tape, the error message above was
sent to the console.  The problem was that the SCSI tape was locked
up (LED lamp on) from the time of boot.  Yes, the driver had a tape
in it during bootup.  During a normal boot, the LED is off on the driver.
(I'm using an Adaptec 1542AorB)  I escaped to the emergency shell
and tried some basic mt commands which should and do work with this
drive.  Like mt -f /dev/rst0 rewind, mt -f /dev/rst0 fsf, etc.  Nothing
worked, it was locked up real good.

Mike (Pritchard?), I didn't try your patch as yet - I just used the
boot floppy in UPDATES.

I went back to the installation menu and selected installation from
floppies.  All I had was the root floppy, so I let it install just
enough of the utilities I needed (tar, ls, whatever).  When it asked
for more floppies, I went to the emergency shell.  From there I got
enough networking up to ftp the whole installation set.  I had to
install these by hand.

Anyway, I guess the point is that you can still install if you can
get enough networking up to get at your files.  Thanks for the emergency
shell!

I tried playing around with the installation menus and try to get
FreeBSD to install via ftp automagically, but we don't have a naming
server and have to use passive ftp to get outside the firewall.  I
had all the files stored on a machine within our local network.  Is
there a way to install from your own site without a naming server?

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org