Date:      Wed, 05 Mar 1997 12:36:47 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: P6 MB recommendations

Hi,

> I'm planning to purchase a dual P6 system in the next 3 weeks, and I'm
> looking for opinions about various mothboards and/or systems.  I'm
> only planning on buying one P6-200 CPU now, and a second one in about
> 6 months.

be aware that there is an outside chance that a CPU purchased 6 months from
now may not be able to run with a current stepping.  Intel says that you
should always run dual CPUs of the same stepping.  this used to be a
requirement because of differences ion timings of the APICs and ???
It is my personnal understanding that it is no longer a problem, but
you should understand that there is a slight chance of incompatibility...

---
> GigaByte 686DX, ASUS AS200 + ASYS 875 controller, Matrox Millenium

this looks like an interesting board, I run the GA586DX and am very happy
with it.  I expect to buy a dual P6 within the next 6 months and
would choose between this board and the ASUS P65UP5/CP6ND.  The ASUS
is currently the ONLY board known to work with SMP/APIC_IO and PCI cards
with bridge chips on them. (that is, without doing special programming hacks
in the kernel to get around the problem)  Examples of bridge cards are
the dual/quad ethernet controllers, the adaptec dual channel 3940, etc.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD