Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 10:58:47 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@freebsdmall.com>, Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org

At 1:52 PM -0800 2002/03/04, Murray Stokely wrote:

>    We have a whole chapter of the Handbook dedicated to tuning.  Many
>  people have contributed to that chapter.  I think it's a much more
>  logical place to look for this information than mailing list archives
>  for an obscure list.  By all means, please submit patches to Chapter 6
>  of the Handbook.

	The one thing that I will observe is that as you develop
suggestions that might be incorporated in this chapter (or similar
documentation), it may be useful to discuss these suggestions with
other people, in a public forum, before they are added.  It might
also be useful to provide URLs with details of testing and
benchmarking, etc... to help create the rules-of-thumb that would
actually be incorporated into the documentation, but where links to
the raw benchmarking, etc... probably wouldn't.

	Overall, I'm not opposed to the creation of a freebsd-tuning
mailing list, but only if the people who would be sponsoring this
list would agree to periodically summarize the consensus of the list
and submit the appropriate modifications to the permanent
documentation.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

Do you hate Microsoft?  Do you hate Outlook?  Then visit the Anti-Outlook
page at <http://www.rodos.net/outlook/>; and see how much fun you can have.