Date:      Sun, 2 Sep 2001 14:26:48 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jeremy <thinker5555@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Amount of swap space?

On Sunday,  2 September 2001 at 23:20:49 -0500, Jeremy wrote:
> I'm very new to FreeBSD, so if some of my terminology is not correct, please
> forgive me.  I'm coming from a Linux world.  Anywho, I just tried installing
> 4.3 on my box, but I had a bit of a problem that I couldn't find answered in
> the Handbook.  I know that the amount of swap space is supposed to be 2-3x
> the amount of RAM you have, but is this fixed?  I have 512MB on my box, and
> in creating a 2GB paritition to install FreeBSD to to try out, it took half
> of it for swap!  I tried deleting the swap space and putting in a new one,
> but then when I tried to put in other partitions (slices?) such as to mount a
> seperate /usr/home or to just enlarge /usr (by deleting and recreating
> larger) I keep getting the message that there's not enough room to add the
> new one.

Hmm.  Probably this was user error.

> Does anyone know what is happening with this?

Not based on that description.  It should be possible to do this, at
least in the Custom installation (which I would recommend).

> I'd greatly appreciate the help, especially seeing as how I'd prefer
> to have a bit more storage space rather than a total of 1.5GB of
> swap/RAM.

You should have at least as much swap space as memory so that you can
save a processor dump if your system panics.  That's probably enough,
though.  The system needs a header for the dump file, so I'd go for
513 MB swap.  Given the relatively small remaining space available,
I'd recommending creating only one (root) file system taking up the
rest of the partition.  Many people will disagree with this approach,
but beware of rules of thumb like "use 50 MB for your root file
system, 100 MB for /var and the rest for /usr".  Unless you know
exactly in advance what you're going to do with these file systems,
you're a lot better off only having one.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.