Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:59:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Freddie Cash" <fcash-ml@sd73.bc.ca>
To:        "Jorn Argelo" <jorn@wcborstel.nl>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Standard sbc and pcm support in GENERIC kernel?

> Personally I always recompile the kernel when I install FreeBSD on
>  a system. So I always put in sbc and psm when required. I never
> really knew what kernel modules I should use actually.

I didn't really know which sound modules to use either.  Then someone
mentioned /dev/sndstat to me and pointed me to the snd_driver.ko (5.x)
and snd.ko (4.x) modules.  Loading this module loads every sound
module that FreeBSD supports.  Then you look in the sndstat file to
see which driver(s) the kernel determined works for your hardware.
Then you just load those driver(s).  :)

> As for important servers, I wouldn't let an important server run on
> the  GENERIC kernel. I would build one myself, and pull out some
> unwanted things to grab some performance. So one can easily get
> rid of sound support as well.

IMO, the GENERIC kernel should include just those devices required to
boot the most common hardware configurations.  It shouldn't include
anything beyond the basic filesystems, CPU features, harddrive
support, and vga video.  No USB, no Firewire, no screensavers, no
PCMCIA/Cardbus, no ethernet, and so on.  Everything beyond that should
be done via modules.  sysinstall should be able to detect the hardware
and load the needed modules and create a custom loader.conf based on
those modules.  If the admin wants to recompile the kernel to support
his hardware, then they can do so.  But, that's just me.  :)

And I don't know the first thing about the boot process, hardware
detection, or sysinstall to even begin to wonder if this is possible
or not.  It's my little pipe dream.  :D

--
Freddie Cash
fcash-ml@sd73.bc.ca