Date:      Sun, 09 Mar 1997 19:52:27 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone on the list who can check-in the bt848 driver?

>From The Desk Of "Louis A. Mamakos" :
> I might be all wet here, but I think that the kernel only calls the
> driver's close routine when the *last* reference to the open device
> is closed.  It's been awhile since I've hacked device driver code, but
> I think this was the case a while ago.

Hi,

When a process exits , it should close all its opened devices . In
other words, the device's close function. Usually, this is called
resource management and is not necessarily the responsibility of
the program rather the exit's handler to call the close function
should the program failed to close the device.

	Cheers,
	Amancio