Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 09:31:11 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Gunnar Flygt <flygt@sr.se>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Strange behaviour on make world

On Saturday, 25 December 1999 at 23:33:41 +0100, Gunnar Flygt wrote:
> I have run a make buildworld and make installworld on one of my
> machines. It worked without problems. But then I trien on my webserver,
> an old P90 and it behaved like this:
>
> /usr/src/sys/modules/vinum/vinum.c: At top level:
> /usr/src/sys/modules/vinum/vinum.c:539: parse error before `dev'
> /usr/src/sys/modules/vinum/vinum.c:540: warning: function declaration
> isn't a pr
> ototype
> /usr/src/sys/modules/vinum/vinum.c: In function `vinumdump':
> /usr/src/sys/modules/vinum/vinum.c:542: `ENXIO' undeclared (first use
> this funct
> ion)
> /usr/src/sys/modules/vinum/vinum.c:543: warning: control reaches end of
> non-void
>  function
>  /usr/src/sys/modules/vinum/vinum.c: At top level:
>  /usr/src/sys/modules/vinum/vinum.c:87: storage size of `vinum_conf'
>  isn't known
>  *** Error code 1
>  Stop.
>  *** Error code 1

I'd guess that the breakage in the message output is something to do
with your mailer setup, though I don't know how you can create this
with mutt.

>  So something is strange with compiling vinum code on this older
>  machine, but not on the newer one!? They are very much right "out
>  of the box" installations both of them. So, what can be the
>  problem?  Source identical, from the same download at
>  ftp.freebsd.org

Remember that there's more to compiling a module than the source
file.  There are lots of headers, and the kind of error message you
get suggests that you're pulling in the wrong header files.  It's
difficult to be more precise, since you don't say what version of
FreeBSD you're running, but you'll probably find that either you
haven't updated all of your source tree, or you've somehow managed to
pull in some other headers by accident.

I don't consider this a vinum problem.

Greg