Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:59:06 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, acpi-jp@jp.freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ACPI project progress report

In message <20000620182658.C52814@pavilion.net> Josef Karthauser writes:
: On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 09:34:01PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
: > In message <200006200335.UAA11000@mass.osd.bsdi.com> Mike Smith writes:
: > : Can we guarantee that we can find this area?  On eg. the Dell i7500 that
: > : I've been playing most with, it's a file on a FAT filesystem, and the
: > : BIOS will only "find" it if the filesystem is in the 'active' partition
: > : at boot time.
: >
: > Generally we cannot guarnatee that.  IIRC, there's lots of variation.
: > Usually it is just a partition, but sometimes it is the last N
: > cylenders of the disk, and sometimes it is a file like you say.  It
: > would at the very least need to be configured...
:
: On my vaio it's a separate partition on the disk of type 160 (which
: partition magic calls "save to disk").

Right.  My vaio has that partition as well.  My Libretto just splatted
to the last 64MB of the disk (not using LBA, so if you get a disk >
8G, you wind up with a hole that the save to disk uses:-<).

Warner