Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 14:28:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        David G Andersen <danderse@cs.utah.edu>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, bsd@a.servers.aozilla.com, matt <matt@BabCom.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [Systalk] localhost.org (fwd)

Today, Matt Behrens wrote:

: Today, Matthew Dillon wrote:
:
: :     I'm talking about CNAME records, not IN A records.
: :
: :     BTW, assigning multiple A records to a single domain does not break spec
: :     at all.  in A round robins entail other issues but none are related
: :     to the problem of 'domain.com' vs 'host.domain.com'.
:
: Sorry, I must have misunderstood.  I caught the part about CNAMEs
: but thought you were addressing A records in the second part.
:
: In any event, I thought I'd read somewhere that multiple A records
: with the same IP violated spec.  (It has been a few years since
: I've read the RFCs; that was back when I was working on my now-defunct
: Java resolver library.)  Perhaps that was _formerly_ the case?

And now upon closer inspection I discover that my original message
was way off.  Sorry about that.  I meant to say that I thought it
violated spec to have more than one domain name share the same _IP_
with A records, however in practical use it was not a problem.
This solves the problem of having to multi-home a host just to give
it two different domain names.

Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com>
Owner/Administrator, zigg.com
Chief Engineer, Nameless IRC Network