Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 1997 09:57:11 PDT
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        fenner@parc.xerox.com, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/mbone/imm Makefile ports/mbone/imm/files Makefile.freebsd ports/mbone/imm/patches patch-ad

asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami) wrote:
>I still think it's better to have simple commands like
>that in the main Makefile so others can easily see what's going on.

Ok.  I think this was inspired by sdr's configure script, which is:

cat ${FILESDIR}/Makefile.freebsd ${WRKSRC}/src/Makefile.template > ${WRKSRC}/fre
ebsd/Makefile
cp ${FILESDIR}/Makefile.work ${WRKSRC}/Makefile

This is called "configure" because sdr comes with scripts like the first
line in other directories (e.g. sunOS4/configure).  And then once I had
a script there, I also copied the Makefile.work to ${WRKSRC}, although
that might belong in a post-fetch: target instead.

I think having scripts/configure do the work is easier than trying to
have ${WRKSRC}/freebsd/configure do the work, since do-configure isn't
really set up to cd to any directory other than ${WRKSRC} so I'd have
to do some funky magic anyway.  But I think maybe the second line of
the configure script belongs in the Makefile instead.

Comments?  Am I way over-analyzing a two-line shell script? =)

  Bill