Date:      25 Feb 2002 11:46:24 +1200
From:      Stuart Tanner <stuart@sigterm.com>
To:        Jason Halbert <jason@jason-n3xt.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Samba Question

On Mon, 2002-02-25 at 10:10, Jason Halbert wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> I have been trying to get Samba working with no luck.  I installed it from
> ports.  I edited the smb.conf.sample and changed the values to what I think
> match my network.  I am trying to get my FreeBSD box on my simple
> peer-to-peer Win2k and WinXP network.  I changed the "workgroup" and
> "server string" to my workgroup name and what I wanted the FreeBSD box to
> be called.  I'm not able to connect to the other Windows boxes and they
> can't see the UNIX box.  The UNIX box has two NICs in it; one public and
> one private.  All the boxes are on the public network and nothing is on the
> private (it's there for future NAT).
>
> Does any one know of a good straight forward method for getting Samba
> working with a simple peer-to-peer network?

Have you run /usr/local/bin/testparm?
Have you checked the samba logs: /var/log/log.smbd &
/var/log/log.<machinename> (may not exist)?

testparm will check your smb.conf file and report any errors.  It only
checks that smbd will load the file and not that the settings will work
with your network.

It's always a good idea to check the logs.

> Thanks very much
>
> ----
> Jason

Stuart Tanner <stuart@sigterm.com>

"Why isn't there a special name for the tops of your feet?"
		-- Lily Tomlin