Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2001 10:16:04 -0400
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@wjv.com>
To:        Peter Brezny <peter@sysadmin-inc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: exited on signal 11, core dumped message vdeliver mail.

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 10:02:52AM -0400, Peter Brezny thus sprach:

> The odd thing is, that this system ran for six months _without_
> any of these errors. Now, as we've increased the amount of mail
> users on the box, this error seems to be poping up more and more
> often (sometimes once an hour).

> However, even with our increased usage, the system load is
> extremely low:

> load averages: 0.01, 0.01, 0.00

I've never used that program, but if that's the only thing
exhibiting this problem, now that the number of users has
increased, my gut reaction is that it is a program problem.
Particularly since the error is segmentation violation.  I'm not a
programmer [more like a jack-of-all-trades SA on more machines than
I'd care to remember] but a segv error says the program is trying
to access memory outside certain limits.    Maybe its some sort of
buffer over-run.

> Do things just 'go wrong' in programs like vdeliver mail and
> what's my best course of action, update vpopmail? I'm not a
> programmer and have a very weak programming background so
> troubleshooting the code is not really an options for me.

I can't help you on that.  But I'm more suspicious of the program
if that's the only time it happens.   If it were hardware problems
then when the system was loaded down other things should fail, and
your load isn't that of a heavily loaded system.

Bad ram, that only gets used when something uses a lot of memory
could be that, but if you are using ECC or parity memory [any one
using machines in production SHOULD but many dont] you would see
errors in the logs. I run parity in the older machines and ECC in
the newer ones.  But we are quite small at the moment.

--
Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com