Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 1998 20:03:47 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@cybercom.net>
Cc:        Penisoara Adrian <ady@warpnet.ro>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Opinion on LS-120 devices ?

Yecch.  If you use HTML in your mail messages, then you deserve all that
you get.

> Moved to Hardware from Questions and Hackers...
>
> Problems doesn't begin to describe it, pal.
>
> Point blank, the drives were not much faster than a floppy.

They're significantly faster than a floppy; on the order of 5-10 times,
depending on your access profile.

> Playing
> Duke Nukem 3-D off one of them was Frame Rate Hell.

This game runs on FreeBSD?  Or perhaps you are crossposting to a list
that cares?

> The worst thing about the
> drive I used was that it would only recognize a standard floppy as a 1.39
> MB disk.

This is a feature of your operating system, not the drive in question.

> This prevented the boot disk creator in FreeBSD from
> working at all.

Which "boot disk creator"?

> Even getting this recognized was a nightmare.

How so?  I had no trouble updating the BIOS on the (very elderly) ASUS
boards around here to support them; if you have a recent board or one
from a recognised vendor then you should be fine.

Of course if you don't, then welcome to the fruits of your decisions.

> My recommendation is
> to avoid these drives. They're a good idea that's just not ready
> for prime time, and zip drives seem to be working just fine.

You're welcome to your opinion, but TBH it sounds like you're the
victim of your own expectations.  For what they are, the LS-120 works
just fine.