Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2012 11:54:03 -0500
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Ryan Stone <rysto32@gmail.com>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Generating a tarball directly from make installworld

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 09:41:11AM -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Ryan Stone <rysto32@gmail.com> [120710 20:18] wrote:
> > I was playing around with this a couple of months ago and a recent
> > thread on -arch prompted me to pick it up again.  The idea, for those
> > who aren't familiar with it, is to have the base system build
> > infrastructure generate tarballs directly.  I believe that that the
> > current approach is to do a make installworld installkernel
> > distribution to an empty directory, and then tar that up.  That's not
> > an ideal system because in order to have file ownership, flags, etc be
> > set correctly, installworld and friends must be run as root.
> >=20
>=20
> This is pretty cool, I would suggest going along the route of mtree
> + tar as you mentioned.
>=20
> If you hacked install(1) to install without special permissions and
> then to also make a simple file that has "path/file perms owners",
> then later convert that to an mtree file you should be fine.

NetBSD's install has a -M option to create said file.

http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?install++NetBSD-current

On thing that has been missing in this thread is that we also want to
support building images with non-libarchive tools such as makefs.  It
already supports mtree files in place of directory crawls, but the use
of specfiles to override permissions isn't usable without importing
NetBSD's mtree or at least a lot of code from it.

-- Brooks

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5--