Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 1997 22:09:20 -0600 (CST)
From:      Dave Bodenstab <imdave@synet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   xtnpd vs. ntpdate

Recently there was a message on this list that mentioned the xntpd would
maintain a "drift" factor to correct the clock and that ntpdate did
not have this feature.  I've been using ntpdate (every hour via cron)
up to now, and it works well enough, but I figured it would be even
better if the clock stayed reasonably correct all the time rather than
periodically resetting it.  So I gave xntpd a try.  It works... but when
I drop the connection to my ISP, I get:

Mar 17 14:01:13 base486 xntpd[6788]: sendto(140.221.9.20): No route to host
Mar 17 14:01:32 base486 xntpd[6788]: sendto(128.46.199.76): No route to host

I figured that xntpd would try again the next time I dialed up, but
it appears that this is not so -- the servers appear to be marked as
inactive.

My question is: can xntpd be used with a non-permanent connection to
the net, or is ntpdate the way to go?

Dave Bodenstab
imdave@synet.net