Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 2002 23:45:33 +0200
From:      Lauri Watts <lauri@kde.org>
To:        "James Dean" <freebsdguru@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: KDE 3 is SLOW

On Sunday 15 September 2002 23.23, James Dean wrote:
> I have a few issues, first I run 4.7 PRERELEASE, and all my ports are kept
> VERY current.  I run KDM as a login manager, but keep getting errors about
> another xdm running and it can't lock /var/run/kdm.pid the exact log is
> like this:

ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on secure=20

Is the magic incantation for me (and I suspect, it's just the -nodaemon swi=
tch=20
that you're missing)

> fcntl: Bad file descriptor

This one is bogus.  A harmless Qt bug (really, it's just debug output that=
=20
doesn't mean anything and should have been sent to /dev/null)

> then stops output and take about a 2 min. or so before poping up.

A 2 minute pause when starting KDE, or when starting a KDE app from outside=
=20
KDE, is likely to be one or a combination of the following things:

* Wrong file permissions on /tmp/.ICE-Unix.  It should be chmodded to 1777 =
and=20
root owned (ownership is less important than the 1777 though.)  Without it,=
=20
KDE will sit around for up to 30 seconds, before creating it itself.  If=20
you're emptying /tmp at every boot, you probably don't need to be.

* DNS - does your machine know it's own hostname? is it in /etc/hosts? Are=
=20
your DNS servers correctly listed in /etc/resolv.conf?  X (and therefore KD=
E)=20
needs to know how to connect to itself, and it uses the hostname to do this=
=2E =20
This alone can cause an up to 2 minute timeout wait.

* Sound card.  If you have really odd permissions on /dev/dsp, aRts can tak=
e a=20
bit to figure it out.

* Clearing out /tmp can have another dire effect on KDE: KDE apps need to=20
communicate between themselves and the desktop, and KDE does this by way of=
 a=20
couple of complicated methods that boil down to a symlink from=20
~/.kde/.socket-<yourhostname> to /tmp/ksocket-<your-username> and from=20
~/.kde/.tmp-<yourhostname> to /tmp/tmp-<your-username>.  While it's perfect=
ly=20
harmless to delete the other end of the symlink by emptying /tmp, it'll cau=
se=20
a delay in startup as KDE has to recreate them. =20

One of these directories will contain the system configuration cache - whic=
h=20
is pretty much a cached copy of the contents of all the .desktop files KDE=
=20
knows about (so that KDE apps know what you have HTML files associated with=
,=20
without having to find the right mime.desktop file and look it up every=20
single time, they just ask ksycoca, which already knows from this cache).=20
 This one can take a while to recreate, if it has to be done from scratch a=
t=20
every boot.

Solution: If you must clear out /tmp, rm the ~/.kde/.socket-<yourhostname>=
=20
link, and make it a directory of the same name, or a link to=20
~/tmp/ksocket-<yourusername>

To summarize that lot: If you're emptying /tmp, you probably don't need to,=
=20
and it's the reason for the long startup times, and also be very sure that=
=20
your DNS settings are correct.  If you're hit by both, a 2 minute pause at=
=20
the start of X, is not at all unexpected.

Regards,
=2D --=20
Lauri Watts
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org/