Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2012 18:02:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andy Dills <andy@xecu.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 8.3-R sysinstall does not "see" disks that are recognized during boot

I've got a new supermicro server I'm trying to get FreeBSD on. It uses the
Intel c602 chipset, and it's my understanding that support for that
chipset (c60X) was recently added via the isci driver. Ok, great, that
explains why 8.2-R and 9.0-R didn't see the drives.

So, I grabbed the memstick image of 8.3-RELEASE that is on the ftp server,
booted it up, and sure enough, as the dmesg scrolls I see it now properly
recognizes da0 and da1, as it should (the memstick is da2). It sees the
disks fine at this point, everything looks good.

However, once the system finishes booting and loads into sysinstall, and I
go to partition the drives, I get "No disks found! Please verify that your
disk controller is being properly loaded at boot time".

Any suggestions for avenues to troubleshoot this?  I have pictures to
document if it helps.

Seems very odd. I confirmed the behavior with the SATA set to IDE, AHCI,
and RAID modes. (The drives were recognized as da0 and da1 during bootup
in all three modes, but not by sysinstall.)

Thanks,
Andy

---
Andy Dills