Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 13:59:46 -0700
From:      Mark Shepard <mns@MetaThink.COM>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Christian Carstensen <cc@devcon.net>, Chris Piazza <cpiazza@home.net>, Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com>, Patryk Zadarnowski <patrykz@mycenae.ilion.eu.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: updating packages automatically...

Doug White said:
> On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Mark Shepard wrote:
> > I _like_ the idea of a email-summary of "What's New in the World of Ports".
>
> We used to have this.  I think it morphed into the webpage mutation we
> have now (note you can request all the changed ports in the last X time
> frame).
>
> Maybe it's posted to the -ports mailing list?

Is this information the same as the periodic postings to
comp.os.bsd.freebsd.announce?

In the context of this thread (automatically updating/maintaining
the ports one has chosen to install) I'd want the information
filtered based on the ports I actually had installed.  As a sysadmin,
I may certainly be interested in reading about new ports, but I'm
_more_ interested in reading about any updates to the ports I'm
actually using, and in particular seeing _why_ the update occurred
(was it a critical bug fix or just a few more features?) so that
I can prioritize correctly.

I imagine the email sent by the automatic ports maintainence program might
look like this (one entry for each port/package which has been updated):

|	fetchmail-5.0.8
|		Batch mail retrieval/forwarding utility for pop2, pop3, apop, imap
|		Maintained by: ve@sci.fi
|
|		fetchmail-4.7.0 is currently installed.
|		Changes from 4.7.0 to 5.0.8:
|			blah
|			blah
|			blah
|			(this could be generated by diffing ChangeLog or README files)
|
|		Updating this port will also require updating:
|			port1
|			port2
|			port3
|			(fetchmail's doesn't depend on anything..., but if it did
|			I'd want to see not simply _all_ the dependencies, but _only_
|			those which were out of date/would need to be updated).
|
|		All necessary distfiles have been downloaded.
|			(or, an error msg indicating which distfiles couldn't be
|			 downloaded from any of the mirrors. This gives you an idea of
|			 how long it'll take to do the update, just 'make install' or
|			 will you have to grovel around to find the files...)
|
|		To update this port, click here <https://localhost/pkgmgr.cgi>;
|		or give the commands "cd /usr/ports/*, make install, blah blah blah."

This seems like a feature which would be very useful to people
using FreeBSD commercially as an application platform, who unlike
the hobbyists or developers may not have time, inclination or reason to
experiment with every new port and instead want to focus on
maintaining only the ports they are actually using.

Another way to look at it -- installing a port automatically
"subscribes" you to maintainence information about that port.
Currently when I install a s/w package I also subscribe to the
developer's announce list (if there is one) or to the general list
(and filter for announcements), which takes time.  OTOH, what I'm
proposing isn't an ideal way to get information on critical bugs in
s/w packages one may be using because of the time-lag between a bug
being discovered, fixed and then the fix being incorporated into the FBSD
port and picked up via CVSup.  Still, for less-critical s/w packages
(or for users who are less critical of their s/w :-) this mechanism
seems like it'd still be a time-saver.

Don't take this the wrong way - The periodic postings of _all_
additions to the ports collection are _great_! Wonderful! Fastastic!
:-) But in the context of this thread (automatically updating/maintaining
the ports one has installed), I think some additional features could be
even more useful.

Chris Piazza <cpiazza@home.net> said:
> make package-depends might be what you're looking for.

Thanks. package-depends could be a starting point for the mechanism
I'd like.  It seems to return all the dependencies (including
duplicates, easily uniq'd), but I'd want to know which dependencies
have actually been superceded.

BTW, perhaps this has already been discussed elsewhere, but would
it be reasonable for an "automatic package maintainer" to allow
the option of downloading and building from (source) distfiles, or
(binary) packages? "That's an issue with the ports makefile system
and/or pkg_add", you may say, but since I've also proposed that
the "automatic package maintainer" download distfiles in the
background (so the sysadmin doesn't have to wait for the downloads
in the foreground), the "automatic package maintainer" would need
to know your preference of using distfiles or pre-built packages.

	Mark