Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 14:43:39 +0200
From:      "tonix (Antonio Nati)" <tonix@interazioni.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Upgrading from 4.0 to 4.6

I've a FreeBSD box running fine with 4.0 and lots of applications, DB
server, WEB servers, (NO X-server), etc.., all working extremely nicely.

Probably, I'll have to expand to another box with RAID disks, and much
probably, I should switch to FreeBSD 4.6.

I cant rebuild all, too many applications...

May anyone suggest if this plan may works, or suggest me different paths?

A) Backup old system (megatar.tar.Z)

B) Create new system, with minimal FreeBSD 4.0 installation, creation of
all disks, etc...

C) Restore of megatar.tar.z in new system

D) Binary upgrade of new system to 4.6

E) Recompile and install of new kernel with new features enabled
(multi-processor, etc).

F) Recompile and install of additional packages (where possible).

I would like to avoid to install upgrades of packages. I already upgraded
where there were security problems, and I would like to avoid to make an
uncontrolled salad just now.

Thanks for any advice.

Tonino

P.S. Please reply cc to me also, I'm not subscribed to this mailing list.