Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2000 16:06:13 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Eric J. Haug" <ejh@eas.slu.edu>
To:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB D-Link DSB-650 kue0: failed to load code

>  Subject: Re: USB D-Link DSB-650 kue0: failed to load code
>  To: ejh@eas.slu.edu (Eric J. Haug)
>  Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 15:48:42 -0500 (EST)
>
>  >
>  > I have a Toshiba 2100CDS laptop with an OHCI USB controller
>  > that gives a kue0: failed to load code segment error message
>  > kue0: D-Link Corp 10Mbps ethernet adapter, rev 1.00/0.02, addr 2
>  > kue0: failed to load code segment: IOERROR
>  > device_probe_and_attach: kue0 attach returned 6
>
>  An important point which you neglect to mention is: how long did it
>  take before the IOERROR message appeared? (That is, how much time
>  passed between the first kue0 probe message and the next?) Getting the
>
>  If the IOERROR message appears after only a second or two (or maybe
>  three), then the timeout may not be long enough for your machine. If
>  it sits there for a long time (ten seconds or longer) then it's probably
>  something else.
It goes by very fast. The only time that the USB device can be recognized is
at boot time. Running usbd and plugging in the device results in
usb0: unrecoverable error, controller halted.
usbd_new_device: addr=2, getting first desc failed
uhub_explore: usb_new_device failed, error=TIMEOUT
uhub0: device problem, disabling port 1

>  - Find the kue_do_request() function.
>  - Change the timeout from 500000 to 1000000, i.e. change this:
>
>          usbd_setup_default_xfer(xfer, dev, 0, 1000000, req,
>              data, UGETW(req->wLength), USBD_SHORT_XFER_OK, 0);

After this change
Again, the boot message rushes by.
But later, say about 8 seconds or so
about the time the system is printing out ppc0 messages
i get
panic: removing other than first element.

This panic seems to be in usb_transfer_complete when the
SIMPLEQ_REMOVE_HEAD macro is executed.

ddb trace reveals:
shutdown_panic
panic