Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 1997 23:09:21 -0500
From:      dh2@netwalk.com
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   (?) lnc0: Transmit underflow error -- Resetting

I'm trying to do transfers of a large amount of data between my FreeBSD
3.0-971208-SNAP box with a NE2100 Lance card and a Linux 2.0.32 box with an
NE2000.

My effective transfer rate is measely 1.6kbytes per second over a 10Mbps
ethernet with FTP, and I'm getting loads of these in the FreeBSD error log:

/kernel: lnc0: Transmit underflow error -- Resetting
/kernel: lnc0: Transmit underflow error -- Resetting
/kernel: lnc0: Transmit underflow error -- Resetting

as well as some of these:

/kernel: lnc0: Receive overflow error

The machines will swap a few segments, then the line freezes for a
second, and then this repeats.

Does anyone know what these messages indicate?  Any suggestions on what is
the underlying reason for the transfer rate being so ridiculously low?

Please Cc responses to me via e-mail as I'm not at my normal list address.
Thanks.

Randall Hopper