Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 2004 21:33:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jiafu He <jiafu_he@yahoo.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Debugging APIC problem (R5.2.1 vt-8235 ata failure no interrupt), need help

John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> wrote: On Friday 02 July 2004 12:02 am, Jiafu He wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote:
>
> On Thursday 01 July 2004 10:12 pm, Jiafu He wrote:
> > Hi, folks,
> >
> > Rel 5.2.1 can't be installed on my machine due to APIC problems. The
> > error message is like "ata0-master: FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY no interrupt".
> > It is a Soyo motherboard "SY-P4VGA" with VIA VT-8235 south bridge.
> >
> > Debugging results using DDB ("show intrcnt") show no interrupts ever
> > occur. Disable the APIC feature on BIOS, then the disk is detected and
> > everything works fine. Installing release 5.1 and 4.10 both work perfect.
> > So I guess there must be problems with the APIC or IO APIC initialization
> > code in release 5.2.1.
>
> Do you have a dmesg output with APIC enabled?
>
> I can see it on my monitor, However I can't even have my disk attached, do
> I have a way to save it anywhere? :( If you want a dmesg from R5.1, I can
> send it to you.
>
> Jiafu

Do you have a serial console?

I tried to mount fixit floppy. looks like floppy controller can't be found either. I should have a serial cable around. Not sure whether it works for PC or not, I used it for debugging ARM. I'll get it back to you tomorrow. Too late today.

In order not to mess up with the mailing list. I'll send it directly to you.

Thanks.

Jiafu