Date:      Sat, 14 Feb 2004 07:19:59 -0600
From:      "J.D. Bronson" <jbronson@wixb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   network throughput with WiFi/LAN

Someone PLEASE help me figure this out?

I am baffled.

I have 2 100% identical IBM servers. Same everything. Purchased at the same
time/date.

P4-3.06
512MB ram
18GB scsi u160 10Krpm drive

One machine runs FreeBSD-5.2 and the other Solaris9x86.

FTP transfers via machine to machine or via LAN client to/from either machine
are around 11.5MB/sec (which I would expect on 100BaseT).

Thats fine. However I did notice the following:

WiFi 802.11b client machine (10' away from the AP and excellent signal)
sees the following transfer rates:

WiFi client to solaris box will sustain and maintain 821K/sec.

WiFi client to FreeBSD-5.2 box will start around 900K/sec and immediately
fall and fall and fall - settling around 620K/sec sustain and maintain.

Since ftp rates to/from servers/clients are at just about the max, I dont
understand what I am seeing here. What does the FreeBSD box not like about
my WiFi ? - the recv/send space is set identical on the solaris and freebsd
box.

Any thoughts? - Since I use WiFi a tremendous amount - solaris seems like
the answer but yet it makes no sense.

Any thing I can try? - everything is full duplex. Verified speeds and settings.

Thanks!

--
J.D. Bronson - "LoneBandit"
Aurora Health Care // Information Services // Milwaukee, WI USA