Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 09:46:48 -0700
From:      "Scott Hess" <scott@avantgo.com>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re:

Meaning, of course, you need the vendor to let the specs out of their
grubby little hands.  Which in turn means that the vendor cannot make
random changes to the card without making sure you're aware of them.  Also,
I'm not aware of any PCI-SCSI RAID systems for which you can access the
administrative tools from a free OS.  For some such systems, the system can
automatically utilize the hot spare - but if you then swap out the bad
drive, it won't automatically make the replacement the hot spare without
rebooting to Windows and running the funky little admin tool to tell it
what to do.

It would be interesting if someone would take a middle road between
SCSI-SCSI and PCI-SCSI controllers: a PCI-SCSI controller with a serial
port console.  That would make it very easy for any OS with a driver to
handle administration.

Later,
scott