Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 22:37:32 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Warren Smith" <wasmith@cdocs.com>, <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Microsoft Advocacy?

Warren writes:

> Small businesses that choose Windows as a
> server OS are often unaware that there are
> alternatives that, while requiring a little
> more expertise to set up initially, can
> save them significant time and money down
> the road.

Small businesses are actually among the best customers for Windows as a
server, because they cannot afford the geek talent required to set up,
administer, and maintain a UNIX system.  The performance hit they take is
not significant, because their servers are less likely to be loaded to
capacity, anyway.  They are also more likely to be able to get by with a
canned server solution, and they are more likely to be in an exclusively
Windows-based environment, and these details also favor Windows in the back
office.

Businesses of larger size--any businesses that can afford full-time
administrators and/or put extremely heavy demands on servers--are likely to
be better off with UNIX, particularly if they have a heterogenous user
enviroment.  For customized solutions, UNIX may be mandatory, as there is no
source to modify with Windows.

Right now I'd tend to recommend Windows servers for, say, a small law firm,
but FreeBSD for any kind of e-business.  I would not recommend Linux for
anything except as a pacifier for adolescent males.