Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2012 08:46:21 -0700
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        Jamie Paul Griffin <jamie@kode5.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building the kernel and userland with llvm/clang

--NyChO5MpGs3JHJbz

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 04:32:03PM +0100, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:
> Hi
>=20
> I've been reading some information about building my system, FreeBSD Stab=
le/9, using llvm/clang; the site I've been looking at is http://wiki.freebs=
d.org/BuildingFreeBSDWithClang.
>=20
> I was wondering about the benefits of doing so and also - and probably mo=
re importantly - if there are potential problems that might mean it's not w=
orthwhile doing. Having read it again today there doesn't seem to be any li=
kely problems
>=20
> I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice about this if possible.=20

I have been doing this (on a daily basis) with both head & stable/9 on
my home "build machine" and my laptop since 12 Jul 2012; I have seen no
problems or issues.  (I build my ports under stable/8 & have /usr/local
in common across all 4 slices on each machine.)

Here's what's in my /etc/src.conf for stable/9:

CC=3Dclang
CXX=3Dclang++
CPP=3Dclang-cpp
WITH_LIBCPLUSPLUS=3Dyes

When I update my "production" machines at home from stable/8 to stable/9
(probably shortly after 9.1 is released), they will (by necessity) also
migrate to FreeBSD built with llvm/clang (as they get installed what the
build machine builds).

Peace,
david
--=20
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.

--NyChO5MpGs3JHJbz

--NyChO5MpGs3JHJbz--