Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 2002 02:06:49 +0200
From:      Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Serial Port trouble

Hi,

I'm having some trouble getting a serial console to work
on a Dell PowerEdge 2650. I also had some trouble with
serial ports on Dell servers before, but not just like this one.
On other PC's everything works like charm.

I have configured the kernel for serial console like this:

- flags 0x10 (also tried 0x20 to force it) on sio0
- options CONSPEED=19200
in kernel config

- BOOT_COMCONSOLE_PORT=0x3F8 and
  BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED=19200
  in /etc/make.conf

- '-Dh' in /boot/kernel.conf, hardlinked to /kernel.conf

Also I have configured the system to redirect BIOS console
to the serial port.

Now what works:

- BIOS messages on the serial port OK
- BTX loader OK
- 3rd stage loader OK
- kernel NOT OK (i.e. not a single character from a kernel boot message)
- echo bla > /dev/console NOT OK (doesn't appear at the terminal)

once booted, running a getty on /dev/cuaa0 works. I tried running
it on /dev/ttyd0 before, doesn't work.
On every other machine I have, the getty works on ttyd0 but NOT
on cuaa0.

What's wrong? How do I get the kernel boot messgaes?
How do I get console messages? Why do I need to use
cuaa0 instead of ttyd0. 5 other PC's do it the other way
round and I get the kernel messages.

(The other problems with dell boxes mentioned previously are
just, that the kernel messages can only be seen with 9600 baud,
regardless of any conspeed setting (in some configurations even
2400 baud), once booted a machdep.conspeed=19200 fixes it, so I can
run the getty (on ttyd0 though). Oh well, there is one dell box,
where the serial console works, but just as output. I cannot
login, since no keys are accepted, but I did not check stty settings
etc yet. )

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks and best regards,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock                        - Der Zweite Platz ist Dreck -
 Daniel Lang * dl@leo.org * +49 89 289 25735 * http://www.leo.org/~dl/