Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 21:36:59 -0700
From:      Jason Nordwick <nordwick@scam.xcf.berkeley.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   softupdates and mount options...

I never told the system (through fstab), to mount sync or async.
I added softupdates today and put sync under the mount options
just to be safe, but now it appears to actually make the system
slower ?  Is this because the system default to async ?

Here is the mount information and my fstab (with the old entries
commented out, b/c I also added the slice/devfs stuff):

(foo:513:~/cvsup)mount
/dev/sd0a on / (local, synchronous, writes: sync 601 async 105)
devfs on dummy_mount (local)
devfs on /dev (local, noexec, read-only)
/dev/sd0f on /usr (local, synchronous, soft-updates, writes: sync 4559 async
780)
/dev/sd0e on /var (local, synchronous, soft-updates, writes: sync 498 async
88)
procfs on /proc (local)
(foo:514:~/cvsup)cat /etc/fstab
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
Pass#
#
/dev/sd0b               none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/sd0a               /               ufs     rw,sync         1       1
/dev/sd0f               /usr            ufs     rw,sync         2       2
/dev/sd0e               /var            ufs     rw,sync         2       2
proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0
/dev/cd0c               /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
#/dev/sd0b              /tmp            mfs     rw              0       0
#
#/dev/sd0s1b            none            swap    sw              0       0
#/dev/sd0s1a            /               ufs     rw              1       1
#/dev/sd0s1f            /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
#/dev/sd0s1e            /var            ufs     rw              2       2
#proc                   /proc           procfs  rw              0       0
#/dev/cd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
(foo:515:~/cvsup)

Jay
--
4.4 > 95