Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 1995 11:46:43 -0500
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Why do you care WHERE the obj files reside?

><<On Wed, 5 Apr 1995 09:37:33 -0500, rkw@dataplex.net (Richard
>Wackerbarth) said:
>
>> I don't understand how this is related to WHERE the objects are located.
>> In order to DTRT, the objects could be totally inaccessable to YOU as long
>> as they were accessable to the "Make".
>
>Because I want things like `touch obj/foo.o' to still work right.

I'm not sure why YOU want to do this.
It is certainly not the cannonical form of a directive for a make rule. You
must be trying to "trick" make into doing something that it would not
routinely do. However, as I have previously said, YOU may add links to your
tree. It is just that "make" will not use them.

>  And
>I want things like `cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/mrouted; patch -p <
>~/mrouted.patch; make depend && make all && make install' to work
>without having to screw with enviroment variables, mount points,
>symbolic links, or other detritus.

If you wish to alter the sources in YOUR tree, go right ahead. Of course
you will not be reading them from the CDROM.

As for the "make" portion of that line, I, too, expect it to work. That is
DTRT. Since you have described only one tree, I can use the default
definition of the TREE_ROOT, namely "/usr". I'll find the sources in
/usr/src/xxx and place the objects in /usr/obj/xxxx just as the present
version does. The complication occurs when you have multiple trees and add
symbolic links to common code. You have to tell me which tree you are in.

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net