Date:      Wed, 07 Mar 2012 11:56:10 +0100
From:      Peter Maloney <peter.maloney@brockmann-consult.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9-stable: what happened to geom_labels?

On 03/06/2012 05:08 PM, Warren Block wrote:
> A new install of 9-release, updated to 9-stable today with the GENERIC
> kernel.
> gpart show -l shows GPT labels, yet there isn't even a /dev/gpt
> directory.
>
> Has something changed with labels?
I haven't tried 9 yet, but this happens with 8.2 also. I hate this
bug... it seems so trivial. If there are no duplicate gpt labels now,
why do I care if the disks were used on a different system? The labels
are still there, so why not use them? [In Linux, the primary reason that
I use labels is actually to transfer them between machines.] I also have
one system where instead of seeing gptid, I only see the original device
names "eg. da0p2", which is even stranger. (on this system, I moved the
root to different disks, booted to the DVD before booting off the new
disks, imported, rebooted to the new disks; on others).

# zpool status zroot
  pool: zroot
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h3m with 0 errors on Tue Feb 28 16:06:45 2012
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        zroot       ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            da0p2   ONLINE       0     0     0
            da1p2   ONLINE       0     0     0
            da2p2   ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

# gpart show -l da0
=>        34  5860533101  da0  GPT  (2.7T)
          34         128    1  (null)  (64k)
         162      128862       - free -  (62M)
      129024   167731200    2  root1d1  (80G)
   167860224  5692667904    3  data1d1  (2.7T)
  5860528128        5007       - free -  (2.5M)

# glabel list | grep da0p2
(no results)

# ls /dev/gpt/root1d1
(no results)

With ZFS It is caused by importing the pool when booted off different
media (eg. a DVD, or maybe another boot slice). When it happens, you
will find your slices under /dev/gptid, and in /boot/loader.conf there
is an option to change this. I don't know why it doesn't happen if you
don't import the pool.

# Setting this to 0 will get rid of the /dev/gptid directory and you
will see your /dev/gpt directory again.
kern.geom.label.gptid.enable=0

# Not sure what this does; I assume it means to show either gptid (if
not disabled above) or the original device name (eg. da0p2)
kern.geom.label.gpt.enable=0

I don't use the above settings, because although I can assume there are
never duplicate gptids, I don't know what would happen if there were
duplicate gpt labels. Normally, I would assume it would fall back to
gptid. Someone else could clarify this. (ZFS should only display the
gpt/gptid label and use its own guid [except with buggy pre-Sept. 2011
builds], but no idea about other things, like gmirror)

Also, assuming you have redundancy and want to spend time resilvering,
you can remove a disk, run "gpart delete -i ..." and "gpart create -i
... -l labelhere ..." to label it again ("gpart modify -l labelhere ..."
will not work), and then replace/reattach the disk to your RAID (which
is actually quite fast with ZFS if your partition start and end are the
same since it only needs to do a partial update).

Peter Maloney
Brockmann Consult
Max-Planck-Str. 2
21502 Geesthacht