Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 1997 10:46:02 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new ports selection option of install

> Is it just me, or is the ports selection option, as it stands in 2.2.5
> (and last I checked in 3.0) rather... useless?

I think it's just you.  Nobody else has complained, and I certainly
find it damn useful to have the *entire* ports collection stored as a
single 4.3MB file which can be unpacked at any time (and I use it all
the time, even though it does take a fair while to unpack all those
files).

As the ports collection grows ever more interdependant with time, I
also see this trend as only heading away from the direction of
splitting it up so it would be my recommendation that you simply get
used to the load time and disk space usage of a full ports tree.
C'mon, it's still a lot more than you get with Solaris. :-)

					Jordan