Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 11:51:24 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, Noor Dawod <noor@comrax.com>
Cc:        Domas Mituzas <midom@dammit.lt>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: DoS attacks and FreeBSD.

At 01:58 AM 8/22/00 -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Noor Dawod wrote:
>
> > Yes, it can, and I've alreaedy done just that. But then again, all other
> > legitimate visitors will be locked out...
>
>Depends how smart the rate-limiting is. If it's at the application level
>you know the connection (probably) isn't spoofed, which means you can
>rate-limit per IP.

In "Apache Modules with Perl and C" there is an example.  It goes a bit
further than IP by concatenating the IP with the user agent, which won't
work if all the users behind a firewall/proxy have the exact same agent
name, but then some hackery could be done for an exemption list.  There are
several variations or combinations that could be used.  However, the
example used might be better written in C for busy sites, which also avoid
the memory overhead of using perl.

There is still the problem of making a connection and sitting idle to tie
up a process.  The timeout could be reduced, but there might be problems
for those with slow connections.  Suffice to say there are always
compromises, but with little work one can block most malicious spiders, etc
with a combination of access controls.

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve