Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 10:23:03 +0800 (CST)
From:      Jian-Da Li <jdli@FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   New SCSI driver - Tekram DC390 series

	Hi :

	Tekram DC390 series are nice PCI SCSI controllers.
	DC390  (T): base on AMD53C974, SCSI-2
	DC390W (T): base on NCR53C825A, Wide
	DC390U (T): base on NCR53C875, Ultra
	DC390F (T): base on NCR53C875, Ultra Wide
	They should be better choices over NCR81x since they are inexpensive
	and even better.

	The Tekram company developes their own FreeBSD driver, and now it's
	ready for FreeBSD 2.1.0R, 2.1.5R, 2.2-960801-SNAP.
	You can get the boot disk and kernel patch from :
	ftp://freebsd.csie.nctu.edu.tw/Upload/Tekram/

	Now I want to ask a question ....
	The DC390 is ok since no FreeBSD driver supports AMD-chip yet.
	The DC390W/U/F are base on NCR825/875, and the ncr driver in FreeBSD
	will probe these cards, too.  The problem is, we can't disable PCI
	device in userconfig, how do we make these two drivers (tekram, ncr)
	co-exist ?  The NCR driver in freebsd doesn't work well with DC390F.
	The Tekram developes the driver themselves, and they are un-willing
	to merge their driver into ncr.c or make ncr.c works with their card.
	Currently the Tekram kernel patch will comment out the NCR825/NCR875
	chip ID in ncr.c to avoid the probe conflicts.  But I don't think
	it a solution at all.

	Any ideas ?

	Thanks for your help.

--