Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 00:17:11 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Munish Chopra <mchopra@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ECS-K7S5A motherboard stability issues

Munish Chopra wrote:

> About a month ago I got a hold of my new machine:
>
> ECS-K7S5A motherboard
> Thunderbird 1200
> 256 MB DDR-SDRAM
> 40GB IBM HD
> NVIDIA GF2 MX/400 64MB video card
> (that should be all the important stuff)
>
> Now, I've been having some rather nasty stability issues with this
> machine, and was wondering whether anyone out there has been having the
> same type of issues.
>
> It seems to 'randomly reboot', like it did just five minutes ago. At
> first I thought these were related to I/O or so (FTP transfers would
> cause lockups/reboots, watching movies too, though I suspect this is an
> mplayer stability issue), but now they just seem to occur whenever they
> feel like. My uptime before the last one was just above three days, the
> longest I've had it running.

Make sure you have all of the cards seated properly. This board really
makes you work at that. I have three of them running. Two have 1600+
XP's and the 3rd has a 900 T'Bird. I am not having any stability
problems. The 1600+ will do a buildworld in less than 30 minutes. I am
also running 256MB of DDR memory.

> Additionally (and this might be the source of the problem, I don't
> know), my ATA100 controller is only recognized as ATA33, dmesg output:
>
> atapci0: <SiS 5591 ATA33 controller> port 0xff00-0xff0f at device 2.5 on
> pci0

There are some changes that were just made to ata-dma.c and ata-pci.c
(ata-all.c on stable) that will make it run as a ATA100. When you add
them to a -stable system, they run about 10% slower than an Promise
Ultra-100 but they do run as a ATA100 controller. For example,

atapci0: <SiS 5591 ATA100 controller> port 0xff00-0xff0f at device 2.5
on pci0

Kent

--
Kent Stewart