Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 16:49:09 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Michael Henry" <mhenry@pgrad.cs.usyd.edu.au>
To:        veenoghu@uvic.ca
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Locking myself out of Root @ Wheel

CC'd to -questions. Please post follow-ups there.

> I have locked myself out of the root user account.

Impossible.

> Using a basic search & replace function on the master.passwd file I renamed the
> shell in use by root (and nearly all other users), from /bin/sh to /bin/csh

I won't ask.

> The user I added immediately after making this change still works, all of the
> other users don't.

I would help if you included /etc/passwd in your post.
(Or you could include /etc/master.passwd so we could try
to crack your passwords :) ).

> When doing this I'm greeted with the following error right as the shell should
> start:
>
> : No such file or directory
>
> The server is still operational and working just fine without me.  But, I will
> eventually need to have access to it again.

Single user mode was designed for contingencies such as this.

Type "boot -s" at the boot: prompt.