Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 17:18:21 -0800
From:      Craig Shaver <craig@progroup.com>
To:        Hooptie <hooptie@shazzam.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pulling my hair out!

Hooptie wrote:

Please copy to the questions@freebsd.org list, there are people there
that know a lot more than me!

> I'd like to use kernel level PPP as well.  I thought that it was a routing
> problem as well when I was using user-level PPP, and went over both
> /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf a million times.  I don't quite remember
> what's in my hosts file; however, /etc/resolv.conf is just this:
>
>   domain huntel.com
>   nameserver 165.247.47.18
>
> Both of those tidbits of information are correct because it is the same
> information I provide my Win95 TCP/IP Network Properties.  Now that I think
> about it, /etc/hosts might be a problem.  The last time I looked at it, it
> had my localhost as 127.0.0.1, and server (I was planning on using the FBSD
> machine as a gateway) as 192.168.1.1.
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^

This could be part of the problem.  I think this is the class b ip address
you can use *if* you are not on the net.  What is the address you get
from your isp?  Do you have a dedicated address?  You will have to set up
your machine to be that address for purposes of connecting to the net.

Someone else will have to help you if you get assigned an address every
time you connect.  I have a class c address here, and I do my own dns.
Is your domain name of huntel.com registered?  Does your isp do dns
primary for your site?  What is your host name?  What if I did a traceroute
to your host.huntel.com?  Would your isp have it set up there to point
to the ip they assigned you on a permanent basis?  :)

I will send you a copy of my hosts file, and some ppp stuff, as attachments
in another email.

Maybe we will hear from someone else who is doing a similar setup.

> Hehehe...  I just began learning how to use/manipulate UNIX in general (I
> still type DIR incessantly).  As such, compiling the kernel is not quite in

So do I, I just use aliases for ls, chdir, rmdir, rm, mv, etc....

> my repitiore.  What I do it log in as root as load the module like this:
>
>   modload -e if_ppp_mod /lkm/if_ppp_mod.o

It's not really that hard to do.  You just add

pseudo-device   ppp     1

to your configuration file in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf .  You are probably
using GENERIC, so just edit it and add that line.  As root, do

/usr/sbin/config GENERIC

Then follow the instructions that pop up on the screen.  cd to the
compile dir, make it.

cd ../../compile/GENERIC
make depend
make
make install

and you are done!

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088