Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 2021 09:07:42 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Oleg Ginzburg <olevole@olevole.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on RPI4B: shows an incorrect value of RAM

On 2021-Jan-21, at 02:00, Oleg Ginzburg via freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm at =
freebsd.org> wrote:

>> The UEFI/ACPI ( RPI_EFI.fd ) means of booting has the UEFI defaults =
being
> to restrict to 3 GiByte of RAM.
>=20
> Thanks Mark for the informative answer!
> I disabled the option 'Limit RAM to 3 GB' and now my FreeBSD feels =
good.
>=20
> https://www.bsdstore.ru/trash/IMG_20210121_123742.jpg
> https://www.bsdstore.ru/trash/IMG_20210121_124352.jpg

[I presume that you have not patched FreeBSD to deal with
what I reported about unreliable operation for > 3 GiByte
RAM in use.]

You have made a configuration for which FreeBSD is demonstrably
unreliable: copying (duplicating) a sufficiently huge file and
then comparing the two files will fail to find that they match.
Small files can also have such problems but most will not. (Small
files is how I first found the problem.)

Expect failures from corrupt files to sometimes occur in the
configuration you picked to use.

> On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 1:25 AM Oleg Ginzburg <olevole@olevole.ru> =
wrote:
>=20
>> Hello maillist,
>>=20
>> Recently became the owner of an RPI4-B board. Latest FreeBSD snapshot =
(
>> =
FreeBSD-13.0-CURRENT-arm64-aarch64-RPI-20210107-f2b794e1e90-255641.img )
>> boots successfully. However, for some reason, the system only sees =
3.1
>> gigabytes.
>> This model has 8 GB of RAM. Any ideas?
>>=20