Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 1996 16:16:51 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: atapi errors

Brian Campbell stands accused of saying:

> Hmmm ... it'd be nice to blame it on the hardware, but I don't think I
> can this time.  Booting the same machine into windows 95 or qnx enables
> the CD to be read without any problems.

It's been pretty clearly established that the FBSD atapi driver isn't
the hottest.  Nobody much here takes ATAPI CDroms seriously, for what
seem to us to be good reasons.  If you do, or you can help motivate
someone else, then consider it in your interest to do so.

Note that NEC CDroms are notorious for being bad behavers, so it's
quite possible that the different firmware revisions behave differently.

> I was hoping someone would say "oh, that's been fixed in -current, grab
> atapi.c" or "oh, looks like it timed out too soon, adjust flarg to plib"

Well, it's possible that it has.  Have you tried the latest SNAP
boot floppy?  Have you checked to see the differences (if any) between
the atapi driver you're using and the most current?