Date:      Sun, 9 Apr 2017 00:00:04 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   flavors and subpackages

--caf7cxoshny5jpoc

Hi all,

I have started to merge subpackages and flavors to the ports tree.

While for subpackages I'm only committing for now modifications of bsd.port.mk
that needs to be made in preparation for proper subpackages

For flavours, I have a working patch for a first easy step which should cover
for examples all the py2/py3 mess we have now

https://reviews.freebsd.org/D10327

basically if a port can have multiple variation then it just have to define
FLAVORS= foo bar

Committing the infrastructure part will not break anything but actually using
it in ports will break portmaster, portupgrade, synth, poudriere and others
which should be easily fixable on each end

I haven't yet written a patch for poudriere but I plan to do it as soon as I
can. For others I will let their maintainers doing it

In my opinion it should be used with a proper policy from portmgr.

If I take the python as an example:
we should imho provide flavors for major version of the languages, meaning py27
and py35 right now, but not for all possible version of the languages.

only libs should provide flavors, end user programs should not.

Best regards,
Bapt

--caf7cxoshny5jpoc

--caf7cxoshny5jpoc--