Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2017 11:26:23 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Jakub Lach <jakub_lach@mailplus.pl>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: port building make config dialog dependencies idea

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 5:23 AM, Jakub Lach <jakub_lach@mailplus.pl> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After many years of using FreeBSD ports, I've grown into habit
> of reading Makefiles each time I'm not sure if any options I'm
> proposed pulls in dependencies or not.
>
> And then it hit me. Why should we do that? Port system already
> knows if something pulls another part of it, why those build
> options are not marked somehow? Ideally, described (installs
> xxx/xxx) or just by another colour, just marked by "*" even.
>
> Am I'm missing anything?
>

> --
> Sent from: http://freebsd.1045724.x6.nabble.com/freebsd-ports-
> f3835061.html

This looks like an excellent idea.

The other thing I would really appreciate is when an option moves from
available to default.

New options are often introduced as non-standard until stability an
usefulness is determined. Many are labeled in the distribution as
experimental. If I have a config for such a port and that option moves
becomes a default, I never see it unless I look. I would love to see this
flagged in the installation as I often have no idea of what an option
really does from the half-line of text available.

While the information required to determine this does not appear to be
present in the database ATM, it does ppear that it is available and could
be added.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com