Date:      22 Nov 1999 16:52:48 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Gordon Price <rgptechnologies@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.3 install problems sent to bugs by mis-understanding

Gordon Price <rgptechnologies@yahoo.com> writes:
> Dear Dag,

Can you please spell my name properly?

> [failed attempt at biting sarcasm elided]

I would be very much obliged if you would point out to me which parts
of my response you found offensive. I tried to answer your question as
accurately as possible, but you were very vague and did not give much
useful information apart from the version number and a half-remembered
error message.

The error message in question is typical of a mangled or truncated
kernel such as one would get if one had tried to copy boot.flp onto a
1.44 MB floppy, which is a very common error for users not familiar
with FreeBSD 3.x (no matter how much experience they have with
previous versions), and given the lack of details, I guessed that was
your problem.

I can't tell you why install.bat is missing - as far as I can
determine, it's not part of the OS itself, but something that was
added on the CD-ROM to facilitate installation. I can, however, tell
you that the error message you got means one of three things:

 1) you goofed, and copied boot.flp instead of kern.flp.
 2) your copy of kern.flp got mangled somewhere on the way.
 3) the floppy you copied kern.flp onto is defective.

Make sure none of the above applies. If you still can't install
FreeBSD, come back with a detailed description of what you are trying
to do and what results and error messages you are getting. And
remember, we can't read minds, so if you don't specifically tell us
that you did something, we'll assume you didn't.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no