Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 23:35:34 -0700
From:      Devin Butterfield <dbutter@wireless.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_strip for FreeBSD?

<Pine.BSF.4.32L2.0108142231200.92896-100000@shell-3.enteract.com> David
Scheidt writes:
> : :I was thinking about porting netbsd's if_strip driver (the driver for
> : : the metricom ricochet radios--allows you to use these radios as nodes
> : : in a WLAN). Before I do this, I thought I should first check to see if
> : : anyone else had already ported it to FreeBSD...?
> :
> : Are these useful now that metricom has shut down?
>
> Some versions of the metricom modems would allow point to point
> communications when they weren't on the merticom net.  I don't know if
> this driver is for one of these or not, but it might not be a bad
> thing to do if so.  I'll be there will be a lot of cheap modems on the
> market soon.  Sierra evidentally got stiffed for $10M in inventory of
> these modems.  They should be appearing on the surplus market soon...

Exactly. This is the reason for my interest. I have a couple of the new
128Kbs radios (the ricochet GS and GT models) and they have a different MAC
address format then the older radios that the if_strip driver was originally
written for. The difference is only this:

Older radio MAC format: XXXX-XXXX

Newer radio MAC format: XX-XXXX-XXXX or XXX-XXXX-XXXX

So in addition to porting the basic driver to freebsd, it would be smart to
add code to accommodate the newer radios.

Oh, and the new radios work in peer-to-peer mode just fine. You can either
use them like regular modems and just dial the MAC address of the other modem
and establish a ppp link, or they can be used in "Starmode" (which is what
if_strip is for), allowing you to use them like wireless ethernet cards.
--
Regards, Devin.